Linux Systems Administrator
Full-time, rewarding permanent position with ASANI Solutions, LLC at NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, California supporting 250+ IT Professionals in a R&D environment.
Work in an environment that provides the opportunity to collaborate on various challenging space-related information technology (IT) research problems with top researchers from around the world.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team of System Administrators who are responsible for a heterogeneous computing environment comprising of Linux, Windows, and Macintosh systems and peripherals. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in a mix of technologies with the motivation to take charge in supporting and maintaining Linux workstations and servers. Candidate must be able to go beyond installation of software and standard configuration.
Job duties will include: help in developing tools to monitor and maintain systems; troubleshooting hardware, software, and network problems on behalf of end users; developing baseline OS installs across a variety of hardware; working with vendor support staff to track and install new OS releases and patches; assisting product development teams to deploy custom and third-party applications; providing day-to-day customer support.
The ideal candidate should be a collaborative team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Candidate must be capable to work as part of a team and also manage projects independently with minimal supervision. Candidate should be customer service oriented and be able to balance between project requirements and NASA's strict security policies. Candidate is expected to attend in-person meetings and provide on-site customer support.
- Advanced knowledge of the Linux operating systems
- Configuration of Ubuntu and Redhat in an enterprise environment
- YUM/APT repository management
- Advanced knowledge of Apache configuration
- Developing baseline OS installs across variety of hardware
- Cross platform integration of users' accounts using existing Kerberos, Active Directory, and LDAP services
- Proficiency in UNIX scripting Shell, Python
- Understanding of system and network security principles and best practices
- Experience with KVM, Cloud Computing and Cloud Storage Systems
- Experience with databases such as Mariadb and PostgresSQL
- Knowledge of SVN/TRAC/WIKI, and Atlassian products
- Experience with Windows OS and/or MacOS
Candidate must have at least 5+ years of professional experience in Linux/Unix systems administration, or a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field with 3+ years of professional experience. Strong writing and communication skills with a hard-working mindset and interpersonal skills are essential in this team-oriented environment.
Compensation for this position is competitive and based on the candidate's experience.
On-site Presence and US Citizenship are Required.